I am always looking for easy breakfasts and snacks that I can make ahead of time and take on the go.
I am wild about these new egg white cups, which can be made with any fresh or leftover vegetables you have at home.
The basic recipe never changes and I like to make these for a nice Sunday breakfast, and then the rest are wrapped and saved for the next couple of days.
Here’s my favorite combo:
2 cups egg whites, beaten (12 large eggs makes about 2 cups)
1 large tomato, chopped or 1/3 cup marinara sauce
2 cups fresh greens, such as spinach or arugula or kale
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 8 muffin tins with non-stick spray, then divide the greens and tomatoes evenly in each muffin cup.
- Pour the egg whites in each muffin cup, dividing evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes,or until whites are set.
- Cool for a couple of minutes and gently run a butter knife inside the tin to lift the egg white cups. They should pop right out. If not, use more non-stick spray next time.
- Serve hot or cool and wrap well to reserve for weekly breakfasts or snacks.
Other variations that I have added and loved:
- yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped kalamata olives, fresh basil
- cooked spaghetti squash with marinara
- steamed broccoli with low-fat cheddar
- cooked spinach and crushed garlic
- fat-free bacon and tomatoes
- greens, roasted red peppers, goat cheese
- caramelized onion and sauteed apples
- sundried tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, and grated fresh Parmesan
- Any combo will work – let me know what works best for you!