Tofu has gotten a bad rap.
For those of you that don’t like it, I will ask you to try it, just one more time.
You see, tofu has almost no flavor, so it will absorb any seasoning you add to it, just like a sponge.
If you don’t like it because of that soft, sponge-like texture, I will tell you how I prepare it so it’s crispy and firm.
If you already like it, you have already discovered a smart, low-calorie, low-carb protein alternative that is quite versatile.
You just need to know how to prepare it.
• Buy the firm or super-firm variety.
• Remove the “brick” of tofu from the package and cut in half.
• Put half in a plastic container covered with water for future use.
• Slice the remaining half in three slices and drain on paper towels. Cover with an additional paper towel and apply gentle pressure to press out the water.
• That’s it! Now your tofu is ready to use. Below is my favorite simple recipe that I make weekly for meals, tossing in my salad, and for smart snacking. You can also use this recipe for Taco Tuesday, and use the tofu in lieu of chopped meat in your tacos.
Mexican Spiced Tofu Cubes
½ package firm tofu, sliced in thirds and cubed
1 ½ tablespoons Taco Seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Spray a pan with non-stick spray and heat on medium high flame. When pan is hot, toss in tofu and sprinkle with taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Let brown and flip gently midway, until browned and crispy.
Try it, you just might be very glad you did. And if you like it, please let me know and I’ll make sure you get more tofu recipes in the future.